Pesto Potato Salad with Green Split Peas
- 1/2 cup split peas, green
- 1 1/2 cup water, or vegetable broth
- 2 lb potatoes, mixed baby or fingerling; quartered
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- salt, sea; to taste
- pepper, black; to taste
- 1 bunch radishes
- 1 handful mixed greens, spring mix
- 2 cups basil, fresh; packed, stems removed
- 3 tbsp pine nuts
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp salt, sea; plus more to taste
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 3-6 tbsp water, to thin, if necessary
- Prepare split peas. Add rinsed peas to water or broth. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 30-40 minutes, or until split peas have softened. Drain from water and let cool slightly.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking tray with parchment paper. Add potatoes and drizzle with avocado oil. Sprinkle with sea salt and pepper. Roast potatoes 30-25 minutes, or until golden and fork tender. Remove from oven and let cool to room temperature.
- Prepare pesto: add all pesto ingredients (except for water) to a food processor. Pulse until mixture is incorporated and broken down. If the mixture is too thick, add in a tablespoon or two of water.
- Prepare pesto potato salad: in a large bowl combine cooked split peas, potatoes, radishes, spring greens, and pesto. Mix to combine.
- Serve potato salad at room temperature, or cover and refrigerate. If refrigerating, don’t add the spring greens until just before serving.