Peruvian World Cup Quinoa-Lentil Salad
- 1/2 cup lentils, pardina, dried, rinsed
- 1/2 cup quinoa, dried, off-white
- 1 cup corn, kernels; fresh
- 2 cups water, divided, one cup for each quinoa and lentils
- 1 cup tomatoes, roma; cubed
- 1 cup cucumber, English; cubed
- 1 cup parsley, fresh, Italian; chopped fine
- 1 cup cilantro, fresh; chopped fine
- 1/2 cup mint, fresh; chiffonade cut
- 1/8 cup lime juice, fresh
- 1/8 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp salt, to taste
- 1 tsp cumin
- Cook the lentils and the quinoa simultaneously as they will both take about 20 minutes to be ready. Add one cup of water to a small pot. Heat water, and when it begins to boil, add lentils and lower to medium.
- Meantime repeat the same for the quinoa. Soon after the water begins to boil, reduce heat to medium and allow to cook for 20 minutes or a bit more. Stir at times as it tends to stick to the button of the pot.
- When both lentils and quinoa are ready, remove from heat. For the lentils, drain in a large colander and run cold water to allow it to cool off quicker. Place in a large bowl. Do the same for the quinoa.
- Combine quinoa and lentils in a large bowl and place in the refrigerator and allow it to cool off quicker.
- Once mixture is cool, incorporate the tomatoes, corn, cucumbers, and herbs.
- In a cup, add the olive oil, lime, cumin, and salt; stir.
- Add mixture to salad and blend.
- Allow flavors to marry for at least half hour.
- Serve in a bowl and enjoy.