- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, yellow; chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaf
- 3 15 oz cans tomatoes, diced
- 2 14.5 oz cans vegetable broth
- 2 15 oz cans white kidney (cannellini) beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 small parmesan cheese rind
- 1 tsp thyme, dried
- 1 tsp basil, dried
- 1/2 tsp rosemary, dried r
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 cup pasta, ditalini or other small dry pasta (use gluten-free if desired)
- 1/4 cup parsley, flat-leaf; chopped
Optional Toppings for Serving:
- parmesan cheese, grated
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the onion, carrot, celery, and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Stir in the bay leaves.
- Add the tomatoes, vegetable broth, beans, and parmesan rind. Stir in the thyme, basil, rosemary, and crushed red pepper. Season with salt and black pepper. Let simmer on low for about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the pasta and turn up the heat to medium. Cook until pasta is tender, about 8-10 minutes. Stir in the parsley. Remove the bay leaves and parmesan rind.
- Ladle into bowls and serve with grated Parmesan cheese, if desired.