Pantry Staple Spiced Kidney Bean Curry
- 2 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 1½ tsp cumin, seed
- 1 tbsp corriander, whole seed
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1½ tsp turmeric, powder
- 1 white onion, small, chopped
- 2 tsp garlic, minced
- 1 15 oz can tomatoes, crushed
- 1 15 oz can kidney beans
- 1 cup broth, vegetable or beef
- 1 tsp salt
- mint, fresh, for garnish
- cilantro, fresh, for garnish
- Add olive oil to a large pot over medium on the stove.
- In a mortar and pestle (or spice grinder), grind coriander and cumin seeds.
- Add coriander, cumin and red pepper flakes to the pot and stir for several minutes until fragrant.
- Add onion and cook for 5 minutes until golden, then add garlic and cook for an additional 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add turmeric and tomatoes. Stir to combine and simmer for 7 minutes.
- Add beans and broth and cook over medium heat for 10-15 minutes or until slightly reduced and thickened.
- Garnish with cilantro and mint. Serve with rice or flatbread.