One Pot Creamy Lemon Goat Cheese Pasta with Chickpeas and Asparagus
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 tsps garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth, low-sodium
- 1 3/4 cup water
- salt and pepper, freshly ground, to taste
- 10 ounces pasta, whole wheat fusilli (sub gluten free pasta to make gluten-free)
- 1 pound asparagus, thin stalks; tough ends trimmed and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 3 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, finely shredded
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1/3 cup peas, frozen
- Heat the olive oil in a 12 inch lidded pan or skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the garlic and sauté 30 seconds then add in the broth and water and stir together.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and bring to a boil. Add in the pasta and stir.
- Cover the pan with a lid and boil until fairly tender, stirring occasionally, about 8 - 9 minutes.
- Add the asparagus and chickpeas over top without stirring then cover with the lid and allow to boil 4 - 5 minutes longer until asparagus and pasta are tender. There should be a little broth/water left after it's finished cooking, this will become part of the sauce. If needed, add more broth.
- Add in the goat cheese, parmesan cheese, lemon zest and lemon juice, stirring until melted and creamy.
- Stir in the frozen peas then remove from heat, cover and let rest a few minutes allowing the sauce to thicken slightly.
- Serve warm.