One Pot Cheesy Mexican Lentils with Black Beans and Rice
- 1/2 onion, yellow, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup rice, brown, long grain; uncooked
- 1/2 cup lentils, green, uncooked; rinsed
- 3 cups vegetable stock, low sodium
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin, ground
- 1/4 tsp chili powder, chipotle (optional)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup tomatoes, fire roasted; drained
- 1 4 oz can green chilies, diced
- 1 small zucchini, shredded
- 1/2 cup corn, frozen, defrosted
- 1 cup enchilada sauce, red
- 3/4 cup cheese, shredded
- cilantro, for garnish (optional)
- Heat a large pot or saucepan over medium high heat.
- When the pot is heated spray with cooking oil and add in the onion and garlic.
- Sauté for a couple minutes then add in the brown rice and lentils.
- Add in the vegetable stock, stir and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, cover and reduce the heat to low.
- Simmer for 30-40 minutes, or until lentils and rice are tender.
- If there is any excess liquid drain it.
- Season the rice and lentils with salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin and chipotle powder.
- Add in all of the remaining ingredients except 1/4 cup of the cheese and stir together.
- Heat the mixture until the cheese is melted.
- Top with the remaining cheese and cover with a lid.
- Heat on low until the cheese is melted and the mixture is bubbly.