One Pot Cheesy Broccoli Chickpea Rice Casserole
- 1 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup rice, brown, quick cooking; can substitute other rice types but will need to adjust cook time
- 2 cups milk, skim
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tsp salt, kosher
- 2 broccoli, cut into small florets
- 2 cups chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup cheese, grated
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet or saute pan over medium heat. Add the onion and saute 5 minutes until softened. Add the garlic and saute 30 seconds more.
- Add the rice to the pan and toast for 1-2 minutes. Add the milk, broth and salt and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for 10 minutes or until the rice has about 5-8 minutes left of cooking time.
- Remove the lid and stir in the broccoli and chickpeas. Cover and continue to cook for about 5 minutes more.
- When the rice is done, remove from heat and stir in half of the cheese and add more salt if necessary. Top the casserole with the remaining cheese and let stand until melted. Serve and enjoy!