One Pan Brussels Sprout and Red Lentil Pie with a Root Vegetable Crust
- 3 tbsp coconut oil, or ghee; divided
- 2 tsp cumin, seeds
- 2 tsp coriander, seeds; preferably freshly ground
- 5 cardamom, pods; green shells removed, seeds freshly ground
- 1 tbsp turmeric, ground
- 1 large onion, yellow; chopped
- 2 small to medium carrot, diced
- salt, sea
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp ginger, fresh; finely chopped
- 1 lb mushrooms, crimini; sliced
- pepper, black; freshly ground
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 lb Brussels sprouts, shredded in a food processor or sliced thin
- 1 cup lentils, red, rinsed
- 1/2 cup barley, pearled; rinsed (optional)
- 4 potatoes, Yukon gold; peeled and sliced thin
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and sliced thin on a mandolin
- 2 small celeriac, peeled and sliced thin
- 1 can coconut milk, Thai; unsweetened
- 1 1/2 cup vegetable broth, or purified water
- Preheat oven to 400° F
- Warm 2 tablespoons of oil/ghee in a deep, 10-inch cast iron pan over medium heat. Add cumin, coriander, cardamom, and turmeric, and stir the spices around for about 1 minute, until fragrant. Add the onion, carrots, salt, and red pepper flakes and sauté for 7 minutes, until onions are translucent. Add ginger and sauté for 1 more minute.
- Add the mushrooms, salt and black pepper and sauté for 7-8 minutes, until all the liquid released by the mushrooms evaporates. Add the garlic and sauté for 30 seconds, until fragrant. Add the tomato paste, stir to incorporate, and remove the pan from heat.
- Combine the Brussels sprouts, lentils and barley, in a large bowl. Add the onion-mushroom mixture to the same bowl, salt well and toss to combine.
- Arrange half of the potato, sweet potato and celery root slices, if using, on the bottom of the same cast iron pan used for sautéing the onions. Top the layer with the vegetable-lentil mixture, arranged in an even layer. Pour the coconut milk and veggie broth over the vegetable-lentil layer. Arrange the rest of the potato, sweet potato, and celery root slices on top in a spiral. Brush the root vegetable layer with the remaining 1 tablespoons of oil or ghee and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover, place in the oven, and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and continue to bake for another 25-30 minutes, until all the vegetables and lentils are soft and cooked throughout. Enjoy right away, scooped out of the pan with a spoon or cut into slices. This dish also makes for great leftovers. Reheat it in portions in the oven or on a pan.