Olive Oil Braised Great Northern Beans with Fennel, Rosemary & Thyme
- 1/3 cup + 3 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium fennel, bulb cut into thick slices *reserve 1/4 cup chopped fennel fronds
- 1 small bunch fresh herbs, fresh thyme and rosemary; 2-3 sprigs each, tied in kitchen twine
- 2 15 oz cans great northern beans, or about 3 cups of cooked beans (1 cup dried)
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 1 lemon, zest + juice
- salt, sea; to taste
- pepper, freshly ground
- In a wide saucepan or skillet over medium heat, add 3 tablespoons of olive oil, garlic, and fennel. Sauté for about 5-7 minutes, then add lemon peel (zested or peeled) and sprigs of rosemary & thyme.
- Add the white beans and stir in 1/3 cup olive oil & chicken broth. Bring to a boil, then simmer and cover, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes (or until fennel is tender, but not soft). Season with sea salt, freshly ground pepper, and the juice of half a lemon. Top with fennel fronds and serve immediately.