Mujadara with Toasted Pistachios
- 1 cup lentils, French, or Beluga
- 4 cups water
- 2 tbsp butter, unsalted
- 2 large onion, diced
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper, ground
- 1/2 tsp cumin, ground
- 1 cup rice, brown Basmati
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup yogurt, Greek; full fat
- 1 tbsp parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup pistachios, chopped and toasted
- Combine the lentils and 2 cups of water in a pot and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes. Strain lentils and set aside.
- While the lentils cook, melt the butter in a large pan over low heat. Add the onions and the vinegar. Cook for 30 to 40 minutes, stirring frequently until onions are brown and caramelized
- Stir the salt, pepper, cumin and rice into the pan and cook for 1 more minute.
- Combine the remaining water and the vegetable stock, then add half of the mixture to the onion mixture 1 cup at a time. Allow all of the liquid to be absorbed before adding the next cup.
- Stir the lentils into the rice, then continue adding the remaining liquid one cup at at time until absorbed.
- Divide the mujadara into 8 bowls and top each with a dollop of yogurt and a sprinkle of parsley and pistachios before serving.