Moroccan-Spiced Warm Lentil and Steak Salad
- 2 cups lentils, French, picked through, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 2 tbs olive oil, extra-virgin
- 1 medium onion, red; thinly sliced
- 1 large clove garlic, minced ½ tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp coriander, seeds
- salt and pepper, freshly ground
- 2 medium carrot, peeled and minced or grated
- 1/2 cup parsley, fresh, flat-leaf; chopped
- 1/2 cup raisins, golden
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 3 tbs lemon juice
- 1 tbs olive oil, extra virgin
- 1/4 tsp coriander, ground
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon, ground
- 1/4 tsp ginger, ground
- 1 medium clove garlic, mashed into a paste
- salt and pepper
- 1 lb beef, skirt steak, cut into 4 to 6 equal pieces
- vegetable oil, for the grill
- Combine the lentils, turmeric and 7 cups of water in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until tender, about 25-30 minutes. Drain well, reserving ¼ cup of the cooking liquid. Transfer to a large bowl and set aside.
- While the lentils are cooking, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, cumin, coriander, 1 teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper and cook until softened and golden, about 5 minutes. Add the reserved lentil cooking liquid and cook, stirring, until most of it is absorbed, about 2 minutes. Transfer the onion mixture to the bowl with the lentils. Add the carrot, parsley, raisins, lemon juice, lemon zest, and the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and toss to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper and keep warm.
- To cook the steak, combine the oil, spices, garlic, ¾ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper in a small bowl. Rub the mixture evenly over the steak. Heat a grill (or grill pan) to medium-high. Brush the pan with oil and cook the steak for 3-4 minutes each side for medium rare. Transfer to a board, cover loosely with foil, and rest for 5 minutes. Thinly slice the steak against the grain and serve with the lentils.