Mediterranean Chicken Panini
- 1 chicken breast, boneless, skinless; pounded to even thickness
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp oregano, dried
- 1/4 tsp thyme, dried
- 1/4 tsp basil, dried
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 6 slices provolone cheese
- 1/4 cup olives, kalamata; halved (optional)
- 1/3 roasted red peppers
- 6 slices bread, whole grain wheat
Split Pea Hummus:
- 1 cup split peas, green, dried
- 1 tbsp lemon juice, fresh squeezed
- 2 tsp garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp pepper, or to taste
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Place split peas in a large pot, cover with water, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, cover, and allow to simmer for about 20 minutes until very tender. Drain well and transfer to a food processor.
- Add lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper to food processor. Pulse until combined. Continue to pulse while gradually pouring in olive oil. Pulse until smooth.
- Place chicken in a medium bowl. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil, salt and pepper, garlic powder, oregano, thyme, and basil and toss to combine. Grill chicken over medium-high heat for 6-8 minutes on each side until cooked through. (Alternately you can cook chicken on stove or bake if you prefer)
- Chop chicken into ½-inch pieces and set aside.
- Spread hummus on one slice of bread. Top with chicken, then with two slices of provolone cheese, and top with second slice of bread. (If desired, you can top chicken with kalamata olives and roasted red peppers before second slice of bread)
- Grill sandwiches in a panini press or George foreman for about 5 minutes or until cheese is completely melted. Serve immediately.