Lentil Walnut Pesto Pasta
- 1 cup lentils, cooked, divided
- 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 cup basil, fresh
- 1/2 cup kale, baby (or spinach), fresh
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 pound pasta
- 1 cup tomatoes, cherry; halved
- parmesan cheese, extra, for topping
- Place the ½ cup of lentils, walnuts and half of the olive oil in a food processor. Pulse until nuts are finely chopped. Add the basil, kale or spinach, shredded parmesan and salt. Pulse to combine.
- With the food processor running, drizzle in the remaining olive oil until the pesto reaches desired consistency. You may not need the full ½ cup.
- Transfer the pesto to an air tight glass jar. It will stay fresh in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
- Cook the pasta to al dente. Reserve ½ cup of the cooking water, then drain.
- Place ¾ cup of pesto in a large bowl, then pour in half of the cooking water. Whisk to create a sauce, adding more water to thin as necessary.
- Put the cooked pasta in the bowl with the cherry tomatoes and remaining lentils. Toss to combine.
- Divide between 4 bowls and top with additional parmesan cheese before serving.