Lentil Sprout Spring Rolls with Shrimp
- 1 1/2 cup jalapeno pepper, seeded and devined, finely chopped (seeds can be added for heat, if desired)
- 1/2 cup onion, red; finely chopped
- 7 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1/2 cup cilantro, finely chopped, slightly packed
- 1 tsp salt, coarse
- 1 cup olive oil
Avocado Dip Ingredients:
- 2 avocado
- 3/4 cup yogurt, plain
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp lime juice, fresh
- 1/2 tsp salt, coarse
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled (about 3 shrimp per spring roll)
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 9 cups lentil sprouts, (sprouted from 1 cup lentils)
- 4 cups cabbage, napa; thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp lime juice, fresh
- 1/2 tsp salt
Additional filling ingredients:
- 1/2 cucumber, English; julienned
- 1/2 bell pepper, seeded and cored, julienned into 26-28 thin strips
- 12-15 spring roll wrappers
- Mix salsa ingredients together; set aside.
- Process avocados, yogurt, and garlic together in the bowl of a food processor until smooth. Scrape into bowl and stir in lime juice and salt. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Mix shrimp with chili powder. Stir in 1/4 cup salsa and marinate for 15-20 minutes. Heat skillet to medium hot. When skillet has heated, reduce heat to medium and add shrimp. Cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes. Remove to bowl to cool. (You won’t need to grease the skillet since there’s oil in the salsa).
- While shrimp marinates, heat 2-3 inches of water in a large pot fitted with a steamer tray. When water reaches a rapid simmer, place lentil sprouts on top of tray and cover with a lid. Steam for five minutes. Remove to a bowl and let cool for a few minutes before tossing with the cabbage, 2/3 cup salsa, lime juice, and salt. Set aside.
- Fill a small bowl with warm water. Assemble ingredients in an assembly line fashion on your work space. Place a large cutting board on the counter for wrapping up spring rolls, and a platter to place them on once rolled.
- Place a spring roll wrapper on the cutting board. Using a pastry brush, brush both sides lightly with water to moisten the wrapper. Let sit for 30 seconds to 1 minute to allow the wrapper to soak in the moisture, making it pliable enough to roll.
- On the bottom 1/3 edge (nearest you), line wrapper with 3 shrimp, no more than 1/4 cup lentil sprout salad, about 5 strips of cucumber and 2 strips of red bell pepper. Fold the bottom up and over filling, tucking it in tightly, then fold the sides over. Continue to roll and tuck until it’s completely wrapped. Place on platter and repeat process until the remaining shrimp is used.
- Serve with avocado yogurt dip, and remaining salsa and lentil sprout salad.