Lentil Soup with Kale Walnuts
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 medium carrot, chopped
- 1/2 medium onion, diced (about 1/2 a cup)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 15 oz cans chicken broth, or vegetable; reduced-sodium
- 1 large potato, peeled, cut in 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup lentils, dry
- 4 cups kale, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup Herbed Walnuts, or 1/2 cup Walnut Gremolata
- Heat oil in a medium stock pot. Add celery, carrots, onion and garlic. Cook over medium heat, stirring often until vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add broth, potato and lentils. Cover and simmer 30 to 40 minutes, stirring occasionally until potatoes and lentils are tender.
- With a spoon or potato masher, press potatoes and lentils to make a slightly thickened soup. Stir in kale and cook 5-10 minutes until tender. Top with walnuts just before serving.