Lentil Kale Salad
- 1/3 cup raisins, golden
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 4 1/2 cups kale, Tuscan; thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp honey, or maple syrup
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup lentils, beluga, cooked
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated (optional)
- SOAK: add the raisins and the red wine vinegar to a small bowl, let the raisins soak for 10-15 minutes while you clean and chop the kale.
- DRESSING: remove the golden raisins to a small bowl using a slotted spoon. Add the lemon juice, olive oil, honey, and salt and pepper to the vinegar and use a whisk to combine. Alternately, you can add the dressing to a mason jar and shake until the dressing thickens.
- SALAD: Place the kale in a large bowl, dress the salad and toss. Add the lentils, golden raisins, pepitas, and parmesan cheese as desired. Give it a taste and adjust salt and pepper as desired.
- You can use any variety of kale that you like for this salad! You can even replace some or all of the kale with shaved brussels sprouts.
- To cook your own lentils start with 1/2 cup dried beluga lentils with 1 1/4 cup of water or broth in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Cover the saucepan so that 1/4 of it is venting the steam. Let the lentils cook for 20-23 minutes or until just cooked. You want them to still have a bite to them. Drain and let cool before using in the salad.