Lentil Hand Pies with Basil Walnut Pesto
- 1/2 cup lentils, green, sub brown or black if you can’t find green
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- 3 tbsp olive oil, reserved
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 1/2 onion, red, finely chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup basil, fresh; packed
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1 clove garlic, minced
Olive Oil Pie Crust:
- 3/4 cup flour, whole wheat pastry
- 1 1/2 cups flour, all-purpose
- 1 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup almond milk, unsweetened (or other type milk)
- *For a thinner sauce, add a small amount more water until sauce reaches desired consistency. The sauce will thicken up in the refrigerator when saved and will also thicken when introduced to heat.
- Place lentils, bay leaf and smashed garlic clove in a sauce pan and cover with 4 cups water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 15-20 minutes until soft. Drain, remove garlic clove and bay leaf.
- Heat 1 tsp. olive oil in a non-stick pan over medium heat. Add the carrots and onion along with a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook, until onions are translucent and carrots are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Remove and combine with lentils, set aside
- Make the walnut pesto: Place the basil leaves, walnuts and garlic clove in a food processor and pulse until well combined. Slowly drizzle in olive oil until combined. Toss with lentil mixture. Set aside.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer combine oil with flour and salt. Drizzle with milk and stir until crust forms.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth, 30 seconds-1 minute
- Use a rolling pin and roll dough out until thin, about ¼” thick.
- Use a 5 or 6″ round cookie cutter to cut out circles.
- Add 1 heaping tbsp. of filling to the dough circle. Place another circle on top and press to seal with a fork. Pierce the top of the pies 2-3 times with a fork.
- Continue with the rest of the pies and place on a non-stick baking sheet or a pan lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. Remove and let cool slightly. Serve warm or at room temperature.