Lentil Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- 1/2 cup lentils, dried
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1/2 cup butter, unsalted; softened
- 1 cup sugar, granulated
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup banana, mashed (3 medium sized banana)
- 4 tbsp
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups flour, all-purpose
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt, drained
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Prepare the lentil purée by adding the water and lentils into a small pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Stir frequently. Cool and do not drain. Pureè lentils with a blender or food processor. Purée should be the consistency of canned pumpkin.
- Grease and flour 1 large loaf pan (9 1/4 X 5 1/4-inch). Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream butter and sugar together. Add eggs, mashed banana, lentils, buttermilk, and vanilla until the batter is well mixed.
- Add in the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Mix until well combined. Stir in the chocolate chips. Place batter into greased and floured pan and bake at 350 degrees for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let bread cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes. Loosen the bread with a knife and carefully remove from pan. Finish cooling on rack. Slice and serve once cooled.