- 1/4 cup lentils, red
- 2 cups water
- 3 small beets, peeled and cubed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 2 carrot, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup coconut milk, or almond milk
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt, sea
- 1/4 tsp pepper, black
- 1/4 cup dill, fresh, to serve
- 1/4 cup sour cream, vegan, to serve
- Cook the lentils: add lentils and water to a medium pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and cook for 15-20 minutes, or until water has absorbed and lentils are cooked and slightly broken down. Remove from heat, drain excess water, and let sit.
- Prepare the beets: add peeled and cubed beets to a steamer basket. Steam for 10-12 minutes, or until fork tender.
- While beets are steaming, add olive oil to a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in garlic, onion, carrots, and onion. Sauté for 5-7 minutes, or until carrots are tender.
- Transfer mixture to a high-speed blender. Add drained and cooked red lentils, steamed beets, tomato paste, lemon juice, almond milk or coconut milk, coconut sugar, vegetable broth, sea salt, and black pepper. Blend the soup for 2-3 minutes, or until completely smooth.
- Serve soup with fresh dill and sour cream on top. Enjoy!