Lemony Chickpea Cake
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained; or 2 cups cooked
- 4 tbsp lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp lemon zest, grated
- 2 eggs, yolks
- 2⁄3 cup flour, all-purpose
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs, only whites
- 1⁄8 tsp cream of tartar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and lightly flour two 8-inch round cake pans.
- In a blender or food processor, purée chickpeas with lemon juice, oil and lemon zest. Add egg yolks and blend well. Turn mixture into a large bowl.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, 1⁄2 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt. Mix well. Add to puréed chickpea mixture and mix well.
- In another medium bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until foamy. Gradually add remaining 1⁄2 cup sugar in a slow, thin stream, beating until whites form peaks that are stiff but not dry.
- Fold beaten egg whites into chickpea purée. Pour batter into the prepared pans and bake 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes on a rack, then turn cake out of pans and onto racks. Cool completely.
- Dribble one tablespoon lemon juice over each round, and sprinkle tops with powdered sugar.