Lemon Poppy Seed Pancakes
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 1/2 cup almond milk, or milk of choice
- 2 tbsp sugar, pure cane; or coconut sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large lemon, or two small; zest and juice
- Preheat your griddle to the manufacturer’s instruction for pancakes. If using a skillet, when ready heat skillet over medium – medium high heat.
- In a medium to large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar and baking powder, set aside.
- Add milk, vanilla and lemon juice to the dry mixture, mix just enough to combine. Add in poppy seeds and lemon zest, give a final quick mix, don’t over mix. Batter will foam up looking light and airy, this is a normal reaction. Let the batter rest for about 7 minutes. This step is important and will result in fuller looking pancakes. Give batter a quick stir before scooping.
- You may or may not want to grease your griddle lightly with coconut oil, or other oil of choice, depending if your griddle is non-stick or not. Using a ¼ cup measuring cup, scoop batter and place on the griddle, cook for about 2 – 2 ½ minutes, or until underside is golden, flip and cook another 2 – 2 ½ minutes.
- Serve with pure maple syrup. Fresh strawberries are a perfect accompaniment and will add some freshness.
- For added lemony flavor, use a little extra lemon or a ½ teaspoon of lemon extract. If you’re in a pinch and don’t have lemons on hand, use 3 tablespoons of bottled lemon juice instead.