Lacy Chicken or Pork and Beluga Lentil Gyoza
Asian-style Gyoza with an optional edible Lace-top, equally good with either Chicken or Pork Blended with Beluga Lentils
For the Goyza Filling:
- 1 tbsp ginger, fresh root (minced)
- 1 garlic, clove (minced)
- 4 water chestnuts, (minced)
- 3 mushrooms, Shiitake caps (finely minced)
- 2 green onions, (finely sliced)
- 3 leaves cabbage, napa (finely shredded)
- 8 oz ground chicken, or pork
- 2 oz lentils, beluga, (cooked)
- 1 egg
- sesame oil, to taste
- soy sauce, to taste
- Gochujang, or other Chili sauce
- ½ tsp salt
For the Dumplings:
- 1 pkg Gyoza wrappers
- water, warm (for sealing)
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- pinch salt
- ¾ water
- canola oil, for frying
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- ¼ cup soy suace
- 2 tbsp Gochujang, (or more if desired)
For the Gyoza Filling:
- Mix all ingredients together very well. Cook a small amount to test for seasoning.
- Chill until ready to use.
Making the Dumplings:
- Have a cookie sheet lined with wax or parchment paper.
- Place a Gyoza wrapper in your non-dominant hand and a scant tablespoon of filling in the center of the wrapper.
- Dip your finger in the warm water and circle it around the edge of the wrapper.
- Fold the Gyoza in half and working with the edge of the wrapper that is on top, seal one end and then begin making ¼ inch pleats allthe way to the opposite end pinching to seal. Place the finished gyoza on thewax paper and repeat until you have used all filling.
- Cook over medium heat until golden brown on the bottom.
- To Make the Optional Lacy Top: To cook the Gyoza and make the optional lacy top, heat a tablespoon of oil in a skillet and place the gyoza flat side down in a single layer. For the lace top, mix the cornstarch, salt and water and pour quickly into the pan. This step is optional but very pretty. (if not doing simply use only water)
- Cover with a lid and steam for 5 minutes. Remove the lid and allow all water to evaporate and the lace crisp to brown to a golden color. Serve with homemade dipping sauce
For the Dipping Sauce:
- Mix all ingredients together and serve with the Gyoza.