- 3 tbsp ghee, or coconut oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin, ground
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1 1" piece ginger, fresh; peeled and grated
- 1/2 cup mung beans, green; whole
- 1/2 cup split peas, yellow
- 1 cup rice, basmati
- 6 cups water
- 1/4 tsp salt, sea
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped (garnish)
- 1/2 cup coconut yogurt, (garnish)
- Rinse mung beans, split peas, and rice in a mesh colander until water runs clear. Set aside.
- In a large stockpot over medium heat add ghee or coconut oil. Add in spices (mustard seeds, cumin, turmeric, coriander, grated fresh ginger) and sauté for 2-3 minutes, or until fragrant.
- Stir in mung beans, split peas, and rice. Add water and bring mixture to a boil.
- Cover pot with a lid, reduce to a simmer, and cook for 40-50 minutes, or until water has absorbed and mixture is thick and creamy.
- Serve in a bowl with a scoop of optional coconut yogurt and a handful of chopped cilantro. Enjoy!