Jamaican Red Beans and Rice
This quick-and-easy bean dish brings an authentic taste of Jamaica right to your kitchen!
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup bell pepper, red or green; chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, veins and seeds discarded, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1 2/3 cup vegetable broth, (or chicken) low-sodium; use gluten-free commercial or homemade vegetable or chicken broths
- 1 2/3 cup beans, each, small red and black beans
- 2 cups sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Saute onion, peppers, garlic, jalapeno, thyme and allspice for 3 to 4 minutes. Add chicken or vegetable broth, beans and sweet potatoes and heat to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until sweet potatoes are tender about 10-15 minutes. Stir in lime juice. Serve over rice.