Italian White Beans
- 1 lb white beans, dried; great northern or navy (1 lb is about 2 ½ cups)
- 12 cups water
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 5 sage, fresh
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin, high quality
- Place beans, water, garlic, sage, bay leaf and 2 Tbsp. oil in a heavy saucepan. Cover and slowly bring to a simmer over medium-low heat, about 1 hour. Gently simmer, stirring occasionally, until beans are tender but not mushy, about 1-2 hours more.
- Remove from heat, set aside, and allow beans to cool in the cooking liquid for 15 minutes. Season well with salt and pepper.
- To serve, drain the beans and drizzle with remaining 2 Tbsp. olive oil. You can also serve the beans on crostini as an appetizer.