Italian Lentil Stuffed Tomatoes
- 4 large tomatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups lentils, cooked
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, Italian, toasted (use gluten-free, if desired)
- 1 tsp oregano, dried
- 1/2 cup basil, fresh; shredded
- salt and pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 425 degrees. Slice the top off of the tomatoes, then use a spoon to hollow them out completely.
- Place the tomatoes in a cast iron skillet or baking dish, then drizzle with olive oil.
- In a large bowl, combine the lentils, mozzarella, breadcrumbs, dried oregano and fresh basil. Toss and season to taste.
- Spoon the mixture into the tomatoes then place the top back on each tomato.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until tomatoes are soft and cooked through.