Instant Pot Pasta E Fagioli Soup
- 2/3 cup white beans, dried; great northern or navy
- 2/3 cup kidney beans, red, dried
- 1 lb sausage, Italian, mild or spicy; ground
- 1/2 onion, yellow or white; chopped
- 3 tsp garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 15 oz can tomatoes, diced; do not drain
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup carrot, chopped or sliced
- 1 cup pasta, ditalini; boiled til tender
- 1 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp pepper, or to taste
- 1 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning, dried (OR substitute ½ tsp each dried basil, dried thyme, and dried oregano)
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- basil, fresh
- pepper, cracked black
- parmesan cheese, grated (for topping)
Instant Pot Method:
- First prepare the beans. Cover beans with cold water and soak overnight or 6-8 hours, then drain and rinse.
- Combine beans in a large stock pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat slightly and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally until beans are tender and cooked through.
- Preheat your instant pot using the "saute" setting, then add Italian sausage, and onions and saute for 3-5 minutes until sausage is browned. Add garlic and cook 1-2 minutes longer until fragrant.
- Switch instant pot to the "soup" setting. Add chicken broth, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, celery, carrots, salt, pepper, crushed red pepper flakes, and Italian seasoning and stir to combine.
- Lock the lid in place and set the pressure release to "sealing". Cook on high pressure for 10 minutes. Allow the pot to sit for 3-4 minutes and then turn the release valve for a "quick release."
- Stir in ditalini pasta, garnish with cracked black pepper, fresh basil, and grated parmesan cheese if desired and serve.
Slow Cooker Method:
- After the beans are cooked, saute meat, onions, and garlic in a pan on the stove before adding to your slow cooker. Add remaining ingredients to the pot (except for cooked pasta), cover and cook on high for 2-3 hours, or on low for 4-6 hours. Stir in pasta, garnish and serve.