Indian Spiced Chickpea Flatbread
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 1 cup water
- 3 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 2 tsp olive oil, extra virgin; divided
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp coriander, ground
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/8 - 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 medium onion, yellow; chopped
- 1/3 cup tomato, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp cilantro, minced
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the chickpea flour, water, 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon olive oil, salt, ground coriander and turmeric.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let the mixture rest at room temperature for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat the broiler, with the rack set 7 to 8 inches from the element.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil in a large nonstick skillet set over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and cook until starting to brown, about 2 minutes. Stir in the tomato and cook for 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Stir the vegetables into the chickpea flour batter.
- Place a large (10-inch) cast iron skillet in the oven to preheat for 5 minutes.
- Using an oven mitt or potholder, carefully remove the cast iron skillet from the oven. Pour in 1 tablespoon olive oil and swirl to coat the pan.
- Pour in half of the batter and immediately swirl to coat the bottom of the pan.
- Place under the broiler and cook until the top and edges are starting to blacken and blister, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Carefully transfer the flatbread to a cutting board, cut into 8 wedges, garnish with cilantro and serve.
- Repeat with the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, batter and cilantro.