Honey Sesame Chickpeas
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsp sesame oil, toasted
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes, crushed
- 1 tsp ginger, fresh; grated
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1 1/2 cups chickpeas, dried; cooked, drained and rinsed
- rice, cooked, for serving
- Place the finely diced onion, minced garlic, honey, soy sauce, sesame oil, vinegar, vegetable oil, water, red pepper flakes and ginger in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 5-10 minutes until slightly thick.
- Add the chickpeas and bring back to a boil. Reduce heat again to medium low and simmer for 10 minutes until chickpeas are coated and sauce is thick.
- Serve honey sesame chickpeas over cooked rice and serve immediately.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and sliced scallions (optional).