Holiday Lentil Bread
- 1⁄3 cup butter, softened
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup lentils, cooked (about 1/2 cup dry)
- 2 cups flour, all-purpose
- 1⁄2 tsp baking soda
- 1⁄2 tsp baking powder
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, or pecans; chopped
- 1 cup cranberries, fresh or frozen
- *Lentil preparation: For every cup of lentils, use at least 2 1/2 cups water. Bring to a boil and simmer for approximately 20 to 30 minutes or until lentils reach the desired consistency. Decorticated lentils (lentils without skins, such as Red Chief) are cooked for 6 to 12 minutes depending on the variety.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Beat in eggs; blend in buttermilk.
- Stir in lentils and remaining ingredients just until blended.
- Pour batter into a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan, greased on bottom only. Bake 50 to 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of loaf comes out clean. Cool loaf and store in plastic wrap.
- In a medium size pan, combine at least 2 ½ cups of water with each cup of lentils. Bring to boil, cover and simmer slowly, until the lentils are tender (30 minutes). Drain off excess water.