Healthy Turkey Pot Pie Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1/2 tsp salt, more or less to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper, more or less to taste
- 1 tsp rosemary, dried
- 1 tsp thyme, dried
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups milk, skim
- 1/2 lb potatoes, Yukon gold; diced
- 1 lb turkey, leftover; diced (heaping 2 cups per pound)
- 1 cup peas, green, frozen
- 2 16 oz cans black eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 disk pie dough, refrigerated; use gluten free if desired
- Heat olive oil in a large stockpot over medium heat.
- Once hot, add in onions, celery, carrots, and garlic and spices. Cook for 5-10 minutes, or until onions have softened.
- Stir in cornstarch and cook for 60 seconds.
- Stir in chicken broth, milk, potatoes, turkey, green peas, and black eyed peas.
- Bring to a simmer, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. Stir occasionally.
- Taste and re-season, if necessary, and enjoy!
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Unroll the pie dough onto a silicone mat lined baking sheet and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cut into quarters.
- Bake until golden, about 10 minutes.
- Crumble over soup before serving.