Grilled Romaine White Bean Salad
This vegetarian white bean salad with grilled romaine is easy to make and perfect for your summer barbeque!
- 2 cups white kidney (cannellini) beans, cooked (about 1-15 oz can,rinsed and drained)
- 2 whole heads lettuce, romaine,
- 2 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin, divided
- 1 tsp steak seasoning
- salt, course
- Parmesan cheese, optional
- Bread, grilled (optional but highly recommended)
For the Dressing
- ¼ cup tahini
- lemon juice, from ½ a lemon
- 1 tbsp mustard, Dijon
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tbsp water, warm
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the grill to high heat.
- Prepare the beans: Place the beans in a medium bowl. Toss with 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil and the steak seasoning. Set aside. (Optional: To warm the beans and infuse extra grilled flavor, place the cannellini beans in a vegetable basket over medium heat on the grill. Let heat up about 5 minutes, turning once.)
- Make the dressing: Add tahini, lemon juice, dijon mustard, garlic, water, salt and pepper to a small blender. Blend until creamy, adding additional warm water 1 teaspoon at a time if needed. Set aside.
- Grill the romaine: Rinse the romaine to remove any visible dirt. Leaving the root intact, trim off the bottom of the root ends and remove any wilted or old leaves. Slice each head of lettuce in half lengthwise, again, keeping the root intact to hold the leaves together.
- Just before serving the salad, brush the lettuce with 1 tablespoon olive oil and sprinkle lightly with salt. Place cut side down onto the grill. Cook 2-3 minutes per side or until you get a nice char but before the lettuce starts to wilt. Serve the lettuce whole or chopped.
- Assemble the salad: Plate the lettuce, top with the seasoned beans and drizzle with dressing. Sprinkle on extra parmesan cheese and serve with grilled bread, if desired.
- The beans and tahini dressing can be prepped and stored at least 3 days in the refrigerator. Enjoy the grilled lettuce on the same day.
- Skip the parmesan for a vegan salad.