Green Pea Pot Stickers with Tamari Dipping Sauce
- 1 cup split peas, green
- 4 tsp. vegetable oil
- 2 green onions, sliced (whites and greens kept separate)
- 1 tbs. ginger, minced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 Thai bird chili, or other red hot chile; minced
- 1 tbs. Shaoxing cooking wine, or dry sherry
- 1/2 cup peas, frozen, thawed
- 1 1/2 tbs. tamari, or soy sauce; low-sodium
- 1 tsp. sesame oil, toasted
- 36 wonton wrappers, round, store-bought (or square wrappers trimmed with a 2¾-inch round cookie cutter) and black sesame seeds, to garnish
Tamari Dipping Sauce
- 1/4 cup tamari, or soy sauce; low-sodium
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 tsp. honey
- 1/2 Thai bird chili, (or other red hot) sliced
- To make the dipping sauce, whisk together the tamari, rice vinegar, honey, chile, and 2 tablespoons scallion greens. Set aside.
- Bring 3 cups of water to a boil. Add the split peas, reduce to a simmer, partially cover, and cook until the split peas are tender but still holding their shape, about 25 minutes. Drain.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 teaspoon of the vegetable oil. Add the scallion whites, ginger, garlic, and chile, and cook, stirring, until the scallions are tender, about 3 minutes. Add the cooking wine and cook until absorbed, about 1 minute. Add the cooked split peas, thawed green peas and tamari and stir to combine. Remove from the heat and stir in the sesame oil and all but 2 tablespoons scallion greens and let the mixture cool to room temperature.
- Working one at a time, place 1 tablespoon of the mixture in the center of each wrapper. Brush the edges with a little water and fold to make a half moon, pressing the edges to seal. Pinch a few folds on the curved edge to form a ruffled fan shape, set on a baking sheet and cover with a damp towel. Repeat with remaining wrappers and filling.
- Heat 1 teaspoon vegetable oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add about 12 pot stickers, belly-side down, without touching, and cook for 2 minutes. Add ½ cup water and bring to a boil. Cover and cook until all of the water has been absorbed, about 3 minutes. Remove the lid, reduce the heat to medium and continue cooking until the pot stickers are browned and crisp on the bottom, about 1 minute more. Loosen with a spatula and slide onto a plate. Repeat with the remaining oil and pot stickers.
- Serve immediately with the dipping sauce.