Green Pea Falafel Patties with Hummus
- 1/2 cup split peas, green, dried
- 1/4 cup lentils; brown, dried
- 1/2 cup onion, red; chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- 1 lemon, juiced (~2 tbsp. lemon juice)
- 1 1/4 tsp cumin, ground
- 1/2 tsp paprika, smoked
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, (optional for spice)
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, (gluten-free if desired)
Hummus Dipping Sauce:
- 1/2 cup hummus, prepared or homemade
- 1 large lemon, juiced (~2 ½ tbsps)
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried dill
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/8-1/4 cup water
- Place the split peas and lentils in a medium sauce pan and cover with 2 cups water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until lentils are tender, about 20-25 minute. Drain, and let cool.
- Place the cooled lentil and pea mixture, red onion, garlic, parsley, lemon juice, cumin, cayenne, paprika, and generous pinch salt/pepper into a food processor and pulse 6-8 times to combine. You want the mixture to be wet enough to stick together but there should still be a little texture left.
- Remove the mixture and place into a large bowl and add in ¼ cup bread crumbs. Stir to combine. You may need to add more breadcrumbs, up to ½ cup in total.
- Heat a large, non-stick skillet over medium-high heat and add 1 teaspoon oil. For sandwich-size patties, use ¼ cup scoop. For stackable patties, use ½ cup scoop. Scoop out the mixture depending on size needed and form into a flat, falafel shaped patty. Place in the skillet and lightly fry on both sides until golden brown and crispy, about 2-4 minutes per side. Remove from skillet and repeat with remaining patties. You should get 7-10 patties depending on size.
- Place the hummus, lemon juice, salt/pepper, dill and minced garlic clove in a small bowl. Whisk in the water to form a pourable dressing. Serve with patties.
- Serve patties with hummus dipping sauce on a bed of greens or inside pita bread.