Golden Tumeric Chicken Soup
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsps ginger, fresh; grated
- 2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 pound chicken breast, boneless, skinless; cut into bite size pieces
- 1 small onion, white; diced
- 1 bell pepper, red; thinly sliced
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced into small cubes
- 1 1/4 tsp turmeric, ground
- 4 cups chicken broth, low-sodium
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 tsp salt
- pepper, to taste
- 1 cup coconut milk, canned, light
- 2 tbsps peanut butter, all natural, creamy
- cilantro, fresh
- green onions
- Heat coconut oil in a large pot over medium high heat.
- Once oil is hot, add in garlic, ginger, jalapenos and chicken breast.
- Brown chicken for 3-4 minutes, then stir in onion, red pepper and sweet potato cubes.
- Cook for several minutes, stirring occasionally until sweet potatoes begin to slightly soften and chicken is no longer pink; this should take no longer than 5-7 minutes.
- Add in turmeric; stirring to coat the chicken and veggies.
- Next add in the following: chicken broth, chickpeas, peanut butter, coconut milk, salt and pepper.
- Stir to combine, then bring soup to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for 20-30 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender. Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary.
- If you want more heat, add in a few dashes of hot sauce.
- Ladle into bowls and top with cilantro and green onions.
- To make vegan/vegetarian: If you want to make this recipe vegetarian, simply add in another can of chickpeas instead of chicken.
If you are allergic to peanuts, you can omit, or use cashew butter instead. I would not recommend using any other nut butter.