Fudgy Pecan Pie
- 1⁄2 cup lentils, dried, rinsed
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 1⁄3 cup flour, all-purpose
- 1⁄4 tsp salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups corn syrup, light
- 3 eggs
- 3 tbsps butter, or margarine; melted
- 1 1⁄2 tsps vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 cup pecans, halves
- pastry shell, 10-inch, unbaked
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium saucepan, combine lentils with 11⁄2 cups water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer until lentils are tender (about 25 minutes). Drain.
- Combine sugar, cocoa, flour, salt, corn syrup, eggs, melted butter, and vanilla extract in a large mixing bowl and beat for 30 seconds at medium speed; do not overbeat. Stir in cooked lentils and chopped pecans.
- Pour into an unbaked pastry shell. Bake 55 to 60 minutes; immediately arrange pecan halves on top, and bake for another 5 minutes. Cool. For best flavor, cover pie and let stand a day before serving.