Crunchy-Spicy Salmon & White Kidney Bean Bahn Mi
Vietnamese flavored Fish and Pulse Blend sandwich with traditional garnishes. *This can also be done with White Shrimp instead of Salmon
For the Salmon Patties
- 8 oz salmon, Atlantic, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 garlic , clove (finely minced)
- 2 green onions, (finely sliced)
- 1 tbsp ginger, fresh root (finely grated)
- 1 tbsp jalapeno pepper, (de-seededand finely minced)
- 1 tsp lime, zest (finely grated)
- 1 egg white, (whicked)
- ½ cup breadcrumbs, white, fresh and not Panko
- ½ cup kidney beans, white (well drained, and patted dry on a paper towel)
- 1 tbsp lime, juice
- 1½ tbsp fish sauce, Vietnamese
- 2 cups potato chips, plain (crushed)
- 2 tbsp canola oil
For the Vietnamese Mayo
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp garlic , (minced)
- 1 tsp lime, zest
- 1 tbsp jalepeno
- 1 tsp sugar, 1
- 1 tsp fish sauce, Vietnamese (optional)
- ¼ tsp black pepper, (to taste)
- ¼ cup cilantro, leaves (chopped)
For the Pickled Vegetables
- ⅓ cup rice vinegar
- ⅓ cup water
- 2 tbsp salt
- 2 tbsp radish, watermelon or Daikon (julienne)
- 2 tbsp carrot, (julienne)
- 1 tbs chili, fresh red or green (julienne)
- 4 Buns, Bahn Mi Buns or Torpedo Rolls (this can also work on a baguette cut into 4 equal lengths)
- ¼ cup mint, leaves
- ¼ cup thai basil, leaves
- 4 sprigs cilantro, fresh
- ½ cucumber , English (shredded)
- 4 leaves lettuce, red leaf
- sriracha, on the side
For the Salmon Patties
- Chop the salmon until you have ¼ inch uneven size pieces. (this should not be very fine, rather a coarse uneven chop is best!)
- Add the aromatics: garlic, green onions, ginger, lime zest, jalapeño.
- Stir in the egg and the breadcrumbs.
- Lightly crush the white kidney beans with a fork (do not crush to a paste, the beans should still be somewhat intact) and fold into the salmon
- Add lime juice and fish sauce and stir gently to combine.
- Sprinkle a cookie sheet with the crushed potato chips.
- Shape the Salmon mixture into 4 equal oval patties the length of your bun and place on the crushed potato chips patting the crushed chips over all surfaces. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- In a non-stick pan heat the canola oil on medium heat.
- Pan fry the chip-coated Salmon and Bean Patties until golden brown, about 3 minutes each side.
- Assemble as in step 4.
For the Vietnamese Mayo:
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl. Refrigerate until ready to use.
For The Pickled Vegetables:
- In a small pot, bring vinegar, water, sugar, and salt to a boil.
- Pour over julienne vegetables and allow to sit.
- These will last up to one week in your refrigerator.
To Assemble the Bahn Mi:
- Lightly toast the buns and smear both sides generously with the Vietnamese Mayo.
- Top with the Crunchy Salmon & White Kidney Patties, herbs, pickled radish and carrot, shredded cucumber, red leaf lettuce and serve extra Sriracha sauce on the side.