Crunchy Gochujang Chicken & Navy Bean Burger
Korean flavored Chicken and Navy Bean Burger with a crunchy noodle coating and coleslaw.
For the flavor base
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 4 tbsp onion, finely chopped
- 8 tbsp mushooms, brown, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp Soy sauce
- 2 tsp Honey
- 1 tsp Garlic clove , finely chopped
- 2 tsp Gochujang
For burger patties
- 1 lb Ground chicken
- 6 oz Navy Beans, drained
- 2 Green onions, sliced thin
- Mushroom, gochujang mixture from step 1
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 ts chili flakes, Korean
- 1 can Chow Mein Noodles, (snack-style)
- 4 tbsp Canola Oil
- ½ cup Mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp Gochujang, or less to make it milder
- ½ cup Red and Green Cabbage, very finely shredded
- 3 Radishes , very thinly sliced
For the flavor base
- In a sauté pan, heat the canola oil, sauté the onion,mushroom, and garlic for 5-7 minutes or until golden brown.
- Turn off the heat.
- Add soy sauce, gochujang, honey; stir to combine.
- Remove to a medium bowl and allow to cool down and set aside.
For the burger patties
- Season with Salt and Korean Chili flakes (or 1tsp. regular chili flakes). Mix the ground chicken, navy beans, and green onion into the cooled mushroom flavor base.
- Spread the crispy chow mien noodles on a cookie sheet.
- Shape the burger mix into four equal patties and place on the chow mein noodles, turning to coat on all sides. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or more.
- Heat the canola oil over medium heat and cook the crispy coated burgers on each side for 5 minutes or until they register 155°F.
- Keep warm in a low (150 °F) oven until ready to assemble.
For garnsihes & assambly
- Mix the mayo and Gochujang and set aside for spreading on the buns.
- Mix the cabbage, radishes, jalapeño.
- Make the dressing by whisking the rice vinegar with the honey, oil and salt.
- Toss the cabbage mixture, the dressing and the cilantro leaves.
- To assemble the Burger: Lightly toast the buns and spread both sides with the Gochujang mayo. Place the Chicken and Navy Bean Burger and top with Slaw.