Crunchy Brussels Sprouts and Chickpea Salad with Cranberries and Walnuts
- 3 cups Brussels sprouts, raw, shredded
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup chickpeas, cooked
- 1/3 cup cranberries, dried
- 1/4 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- In a large bowl combine the shredded Brussels sprouts with olive oil, lemon juice, salt, chickpeas and cranberries. Toss to combine then set aside.
- In a heavy bottomed pan, toast walnuts over medium low heat until they are warmed and fragrant about 3-5 minutes.
- Toss the Brussels sprouts mixture with half of the toasted walnuts, and season to taste with salt.
- Plate the salad then top with the remaining walnuts and serve immediately, or refrigerate and serve cold.
To shred the Brussels sprouts, either thinly slice by hand with a sharp knife or use a food processor with a shredding attachment. If you are making the salad ahead of time, reserve the walnuts and toss together just before serving. They will retain their crunch much better if they are freshly added.