Crispy Split Pea Avocado Toast
- 1/2 cup split peas, green
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 piece bread, whole wheat; gluten-free, if desired
- 1 avocado
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a medium bowl, cover the split peas with water. Let soak for at least 2 hours before making the avocado toast.
- After the split peas have soaked, heat a small skillet with the olive oil over medium high heat.
- Drain the split peas and add them to the preheated pan. Saute until crispy, about 3-5 minutes.
- While split peas are cooking, toast the bread and scoop out the avocado. Mash the avocado in a small bowl and stir in the red pepper flakes and salt/pepper to taste.
- Stir half of the split pea mixture into the avocado mixture. Spread on the toast and top with remaining split peas.