Crispy Moroccan Chickpea Flatbread
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas, rinsed, drained and dried
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp. salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. ginger, ground
- 1/8 tsp. cardamom, ground
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tsp. harissa paste
- 2 tbsp honey, divided
- 1/2 tsp honey, divided
- 1/4 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup raisins, golden
- 4 oz. mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 flatbreads, whole-wheat (8”x10” or 8”-round)
- parsley, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place a pizza stone on the bottom rack of the oven.
- Toss chickpeas with olive oil. Spread on a small, rimmed baking sheet and cook for 15 minutes. While they cook, whisk cinnamon, ½ tsp. salt, garlic powder, ground ginger, and cardamom together in a small dish. After the chickpeas have cooked for 15 minutes, remove and toss in spice rub. Place back in the oven and cook another 15-20 minutes or until crisp . (They will crisp up more as they cool and back a second time, so don’t get them TOO crispy.) When you remove the chickpeas from the oven, increase the temperature to 425 degree and move the pizza stone from the bottom rack to the middle rack.
- While the chickpeas continue to cook, whisk tomato paste, water, harissa, and ½ tsp. honey together in a small bowl or dish. Spread flatbreads evenly with sauce. Evenly divide with cheese.
- Reserve ½ cup of cooked chickpeas for snacking. Evenly divide the remaining between two flatbreads. Sprinkle with onions and golden raisins. Using a pizza wheel, transfer flatbreads to pizza stone. Bake 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted and flatbreads are crisp. Drizzle with remaining honey and sprinkle with chopped parsley if desired.