Creamy Vegan Broccoli Soup with Curried Chickpeas
- 1 pound broccoli, florets separated, stems roughly chopped
- 2 15 oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, divided
- 2 tsps curry powder, Madras; divided
- 1 tsp turmeric, ground; divided
- salt, sea
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 15 oz can coconut milk, full fat
- 4 cups vegetable stock, or water
- 2 tbsps lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Take about a cup of the broccoli florets and cut them into smaller bite-sized pieces. In a medium mixing bowl, toss the finely chopped florets with 1 cup chickpeas, 2 tablespoons coconut oil, 1 teaspoon curry powder, 1/2 teaspoon turmeric, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. (If the coconut oil is solid, zap the bowl for 10 seconds in the microwave so it will evenly distribute. Arrange the chickpea mixture on a parchment lined baking sheet. Roast in the oven until the chickpeas are crispy but not hard, about 15 minutes. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large Dutch oven or stockpot. Saute the onion over medium-high heat until translucent, 5 minutes. Add the garlic, and the remaining curry powder and turmeric. Cook for one minute more, until very fragrant. Pour in the coconut milk, scraping up any brown bits that may have formed on the bottom of the pot, followed by the stock, remaining chickpeas and broccoli, and 2 teaspoons salt.
- Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until the broccoli is tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the lemon juice.
- Puree the soup using an immersion or stand blender until smooth and creamy. Taste for seasoning and add more salt or lemon juice as necessary.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and top with the crispy curried chickpeas and broccoli.