Cranberry White Chocolate Bars with Chickpeas
- 1/2 19 oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2/3 cup chocolate chips, white
- 1/4 cup butter
- orange zest, from 1/2 an orange
- 3/4 cup flour, all-purpose
- 1 large eggs, white only
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp flour, all-purpose
- 2/3 cup sugar, granulated
- 1 1/2 cup cranberries, fresh or frozen (don’t thaw, see *note if using fresh cranberries)
- 1 cup almonds, sliced
- powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- On a baking sheet, spread out chickpeas and roast in the oven for about 15 -18 minutes. The chickpeas will darken slightly, but shouldn’t get too crunchy on the edges. Allow to cool. Using a food processor, process chickpeas for a few minutes until texture is a fine meal.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, over low heat melt the white chocolate and butter together. Stir frequently to prevent burning. Cool slightly then add to the processed chickpeas and process everything for 1 to 2 minutes, or until it’s as smooth as possible (some texture from the chickpeas will remain). Add orange zest and flour and stir until just combined. Press into a buttered 8 x 8-inch (20 x 20 cm) cake pan. Bake for about 20 minutes or until the top and the edges start to brown.
- While the base is baking, prepare the topping. In a bowl, whisk together egg white with vanilla, flour, and sugar until well combined. Add cranberries. Stir to coat, then add the almonds. Spread mixture over base and bake until brown on top, about 40 - 45 minutes.