Country Jambalaya with Black Eye Peas
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, green; diced
- 1 bell pepper, red; diced
- 1 lb sausage, sliced
- 1 lb chicken breasts, boneless, skinless (or thighs); cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 8 oz ham, diced
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp pepper, black
- 2 15 oz cans tomatoes, diced
- 2 15 oz cans black eyed peas
- 1 (4-6 oz) can green chilies
- 1 8 oz can tomato paste
- 2 cups chicken broth, or water
- 1 cup rice, white, uncooked (optional)
- green onions, optional for garnish
- Add oil to a large pot over medium heat.
- Add onion, peppers, and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Stir in sausage, chicken, and ham.
- Add chili powder, garlic powder, cayenne, black pepper. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add diced tomatoes, black-eyed peas, green chilies, tomato paste, and chicken broth.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 25–30 minutes.
- Stir in rice and top with green onions to serve.