Classic Baked Beans
- 2 1/2 cups navy beans, dried
- 1 pound bacon, roughly chopped
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 cups water, hot
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp sugar, brown
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 3 tbsp mustard, Dijon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper, ground
- Place the dry navy beans in a large pot with 6 cups of water or enough water to cover two inches above the beans.
- Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Continue to cook for 5 minutes, then turn off the heat and leave the beans covered for 1 1/2 hours.
- Add the bacon and the onions to the bottom of a large crock pot.
- Drain the beans and discard the soaking water. Add the beans to the crock pot.
- Whisk together the hot water, tomato paste, brown sugar, maple syrup, dijon mustard, salt and pepper. Pour into the crock pot.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours
Simply omit bacon to make this recipe vegetarian/vegan.