Choc Full of Lentil Cake Pops
- 1 1/4 cups lentil purée
- 1 1/2 cups sugar, granulated
- 1 cup canola oil, or vegetable
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour, sifted
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1-2 cups frosting, your favorite - homemade or canned
- 2 bags candy melts, chocolate
- lollipop sticks
- garnish, sprinkles, cookie crumbs or diced nuts for decoration
- * To make lentil puree, bring 3/4 cup of lentils to a boil in 2 cups of water. Cover and simmer for 7-9 minutes. Drain, reserving the liquid. Add 1/4 cup of lentil liquid back into lentils. Puree in a blender or food processor. Yields about 1 3/4 cups. (Excess puree can be frozen.)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two 8″ or 9″ round cake pans.
- Beat the sugar, oil, and eggs together for 2 minutes. Add lentil puree and vanilla to the creamed mixture. Mix for 1 minute.
- Sift the dry ingredients, add to the batter, and beat for 2 minutes on high speed.
- Pour into prepared cake pans and bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until top springs back when touched lightly.
- Remove from oven and turn out onto cooling racks. Cool completely.
- Once cool, add cake to a large bowl and crumble.
- Mix in frosting a little bit at a time until well-combined.
- Form mixture into cake balls, about 1 1/2 inches in diameter.
- Melt chocolate candy melts according to package instructions
- Dip the tip of each lollipop stick into the chocolate candy melts and insert into cake balls.
- Freeze for 15-20 minute and then dip cake balls into the remaining chocolate candy melts until fully covered.
- Dip in sprinkles, cookie crumbs or diced nuts while the candy coating is still wet.