Chickpea "Meatball" Subs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, white; diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 15 oz cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup breadcrumbs, plain; gluten-free, if desired
- 1 large eggs
- 2 tbsp parsley, fresh
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes, crushed
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper, black
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 6 buns, hoagies or buns of choice
- 1 1/2 cups marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup cheese, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp basil, fresh; sliced
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Set a medium pan over medium-high heat with the oil. Once hot, add the onion and garlic and cook until softened and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Pour the chickpeas into a food processor and pulse until they're chopped down into coarse crumbs. Add the sautéed onions and garlic, bread crumbs, egg, Italian seasoning, pepper flakes, salt, pepper, and parmesan and pulse until the mixture comes together like a dough. Roll into 1-inch balls and place on a greased baking sheet. Continue rolling until all the mixture is used. Bake for 20 minutes, flipping over halfway through baking to ensure even browning.
- To assemble the sandwiches, make a slit in each roll and spoon a bit of warmed marinara into each. Place a few chickpea balls into each and top with more marinara. Top with a slice of mozzarella and transfer the sandwiches onto a baking sheet. Place under a broiler set on low until the cheese has melted, about 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the oven and garnish with fresh basil. Enjoy!