Chickpea Flatbreads (Socca) with Chopped Mediterranean Salad
FOR THE SOCCA
- 1 cup chickpea flour, (4 1/2 ounces)
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup water
- 3 tbsp + 1 tsp olive oil, divided
- 1 clove garlic, grated
FOR THE SALAD
- 3 Roma tomatoes, seeded and finely diced
- ⅓ cup pitted Kalamata olives, chopped
- ¼ cup red onion, finely diced
- 1 cup seedless cucumber, finely diced
- 1 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas*, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- ⅛ tsp cracked black pepper
TO MAKE THE SOCCA
- Move one oven rack to the middle position and place a 12-inch cast iron skillet or other heavy, oven-safe, non-stick skillet on it. Move the other rack to the uppermost position and preheat oven to 450°F.
- Combine chickpea flour and salt in a large bowl. Whisk in water and 1 Tbsp. oil. Stir in garlic. Cover and let rest at least 20 minutes (and up to 4 hours).
- Carefully remove skillet from oven and add 2 Tbsp. oil; swirl to coat bottom of the skillet. Pour in the batter, tilting the skillet to evenly distribute and cover the bottom. Bake until golden and edges are set, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove fromoven, brush top with remaining 1 tsp. oil and return to oven, this time on the upper rack. Turn on broil and cook until brown in spots. Remove skillet from oven and carefully transfer socca out of the skillet to cooling rack.
TO MAKE THE SALAD
- Combine tomatoes, olives, onion, cucumber, parsley and chickpeas in a large bowl. Add the olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper; toss to coat.
- Cut socca into wedges or squares. Place salad in a serving bowl. Use socca for scooping salad.
INGREDIENT NOTE: If using canned chickpeas, be sure to drain and rinse before using. INGREDIENT SWAP: Try this salad using any pulse! Swap in cooked lentils, Great Northern beans or black-eyed peas for the chickpeas.