Chicken and Black Bean Enchiladas
- 1/2 lb chicken thighs, boneless, skinless
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 4 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion, yellow; diced
- 1 bell pepper, green; diced
- 2 cups black beans, cooked
- 2 15 oz can enchilada sauce, red; divided
- 6 tortillas, flour
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- garnish, cilantro and sliced avocado
- Pre-heat the oven to 425 degrees and lightly grease an 8 by 10 3-quart casserole pan. Pour 2 tsp olive oil into a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season the chicken on both sides, then add it to the pan. Cook for 5 minutes, then flip and cook for 1 more minute. Pour ¼ cup water into the pan, cover and cook until all of the liquid has evaporated.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and place on a clean cutting board. Add the remaining oil to the pan, then add the onions and bell pepper. Cook until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- While the vegetables cook, use two forks to shred the chicken. Add the shredded chicken back into the pan with the beans and ¼ cup enchilada sauce. Stir and cook for 2 minutes then remove from heat.
- Pour the remaining sauce into a shallow bowl. Dish a tortilla into the sauce and flip so it’s coated completely. Transfer the dipped tortilla to a cutting board and spoon about ¼ cup of the chicken and bean mixture into the center. Wrap the tortilla around the filling, then place seam-side down in the prepared pan. Repeat with remaining tortillas and filling.
- Pour any remaining sauce over the tortillas then sprinkle the cheese over top in an even layer. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool slightly before serving with a sprinkle of chopped cilantro and sliced avocado on top.