Cherry Almond Red Lentil Granola Bars
- 1 cup lentils, red, dried
- 1 cup oat flour, gluten-free if needed
- 1 cup rolled oats, gluten-free, if needed
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon, ground
- 1 tsp salt, kosher
- 1/2 cup almonds, unsalted; chopped
- 1/2 cup dried cherries, chopped
- 1/4 cup ground flax
- 1/4 cup coconut, flaked, unsweetened
- 2/3 cup almond butter
- 1/2 cup applesauce, unsweetened
- 1/2 cup maple syrup, use 2/3 cup for a sweeter bar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract, or vanilla bean paste
- Combine the red lentils and 2 cups water in a medium saucepan over high heat and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for about 10 minutes or until the lentils are just tender. Most of the liquid should be absorbed, but if there is a lot drain them.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. and line a 9x13 baking dish with foil. Spray with cooking spray.
- While the lentils cook add the remaining ingredients to a large bowl. Add in the cooked lentils and stir together until everything is incorporated.
- Pat the mixture evenly into the prepared baking dish. Bake for approximately 25-35 minutes or until the center is firm to the touch and the edges are lightly browned. Allow to cool slightly, then cut into bars. Store the bars in an airtight container for 2-3 days on the counter or wrap them individually and store them in an airtight container in the freezer.